The City of Ridgefield is accepting applications for a vacancy on the city council.
Full downloadable application packet is available here.
Why is there a Vacancy on Ridgefield City Council?
John Main resigned his position on City Council effective October 2018. As a result, there is a vacant position. State law provides that “the remaining members of the governing body shall appoint a qualified person to fill the vacant position.” RCW 42.12.070(1).
Qualifications for City Council
Qualified candidates must:
- Have continuously resided within the Ridgefield city limits for a minimum of one year prior to your appointment to the Council; and
- Be a registered voter in the City of Ridgefield.
Process for Filling the Vacancy
The City Council will follow the process outlined below:
Application Period: Applications will be accepted until Friday, September 14, 2018 at 5PM.
- Applicants must submit a letter of interest, a resume including reference names and contact information, a reference authorization form and a short application.
- Interested applicants may download an application packet including detailed information.
City Clerk Transmission of Application Materials. The City Clerk will provide each City Councilmember with a notebook that includes all applications.
Review of applications. Councilmembers will review all applications and may conduct reference checking.
Special Council Meeting for Interviews and Appointment.
Applying for the Council Appointment
To be considered, a complete application packet must be received by the City Clerk at Ridgefield City Hall, 230 Pioneer Street, Ridgefield, WA 98642 no later than September 14 at 5:00 p.m. Application packets received after 5:00 pm will not be considered. Additional written information after this date will not be considered, unless requested by the City Council.
- A letter of interest. Applicants are encouraged to include information about why they are interested in serving on the Ridgefield City Council and the value that they would bring to the Council and to the Ridgefield community.
- A resume including reference names and contact information.
- A completed Reference Authorization Form.
- A completed Application Form.
The appointed applicant, is also required by state law to file financial disclosure statements with the Washington Public Disclosure Commission (www.pdc.wa.gov).
How long will the Council Appointee hold office?
The appointed application will be required to sit for election in 2019 to retain the position. He or she will also be required to run in 2021, when the vacant Council position term expires.