Public Works & Engineering

The Public Works department oversees the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of all City-owned public infrastructure, including streets, sidewalks, water, stormwater, parks, and the cemetery.

The department is organized into two major divisions: Engineering and Construction, and Operations.

Contact Information

Public Works Department
510 Pioneer St., Suite B
Ridgefield, WA 98642
Phone: (360) 887-8251
Fax: (360) 887-2507

Public Works FAQ

When will the City trim our brush?
The City does not trim trees or brush on private property. In spring and summer, the City does try to control excessive brush growth at intersections that interfere with safe pedestrian and car traffic. The City hires part-time employees to help control costs for this program.

When will you fix the potholes/signs on my street?
Contact us with a particular problem area and we will schedule the work. It is not easy for the small crew in the Street Department to find all street-related problems (potholes, signage, brush etc.) and we depend on citizens to help us identify them. Report a problem here.

Is blowing my grass or leaves into the street bad for water quality?
Yes. Grass and leaves blown into the street are washed away by storm-water runoff into the stormwater system, which drains into local waterways. This creates higher nitrogen levels and lower oxygen levels in the water, which can lead to excessive algae growth as well as harm and kill fish.

What is a cross connection and why am I required to install a backflow assembly device?
Cross connections are found in all plumbing systems. Pollutants can enter the safe drinking water system through uncontrolled cross connection when backflow occurs. A backflow assembly device prevents contamination from occurring.

What utilities services does the City of Ridgefield provide?
The City of Ridgefield provides water and surface water (includes drainage) management services. For sewer related questions, please contact the Clark Regional Wastewater District directly at 360-750-5876 or visit them online at

How do I start City of Ridgefield water services?
For new construction:
Complete the Water Meter Installation Request Form.  Installation is typically one to two weeks depending on current workload.

For existing building:
Call 360-887-3557 or visit the City Hall. A customer service representative will provide information about rates and answer your questions. When you call or visit you will be asked to provide:

  • Your name, as well as any other names of individuals you want¬†on your account
  • Address where the service is physically located (If different than the service address, your mailing address)
  • Whether you are renting or own the property
  • Tenants: If you are renting your service location, please confirm with your landlord who will be paying for these services
  • Businesses: Please also provide your tax identification number

There is a disruption in services. Who should I call?
To report a non-emergency problem with City of Ridgefield water and drainage services, street, and/or public parks, call our Operations Center at 360-887-8251 or submit a Public Works Service Request online.

In case of a life-threatening emergency, please call 911. If the disruption is related to a disconnection for non-payment of the account, please contact the City Hall at 360-887-3557.

Stay Connected

Scroll Up