There are numerous community events in Ridgefield throughout the year. As a means of encouraging these “special events,” the City makes its streets and public rights-of-way available to civic, private and community groups. To promote success, ensure the safety of event participants and spectators, and minimize public inconvenience caused by the event, a permit is required for Special Events.
What are Special Events?
Special Events are gatherings/events that:
- Involve the use of City facilities or property such as city buildings, parks, or parking lots
- Impact the use of City streets, sidewalks, and public rights-of-way
- Impact the need for city-provided emergency services such as police, fire, or medical aid
- Involve an open invitation to the public to attend
- Are by private invitation of one hundred or more people
Special events might include, but are not limited to, fun runs, roadway foot races, fundraising walks, auctions, bike-a-thons, parades, carnivals, shows, filming/movie events, block parties, and fairs.
If you host an event that features amusement rides, a rock climbing wall or inflatable device, make certain your operator has a current operating decal for each ride, climbing-wall or inflatable device. The decal certifies the ride has had an annual inspection and is insured. Visit the Department of Labor and Industries website to learn more about amusement ride permits and common questions about amusement ride safety.
Permit Application Requirements
To obtain a permit, a Special Event Permit Application must be completed. Additional documents that may be required include:
- A certificate of insurance
- A traffic control plan (if the event affects public right-of-way)
- WSDOT Highway approval (if using, closing or restricting Pioneer Street)
- Abrams Park Reservation Form (if event is to be held at Abram’s Park)
- Washington Liquor Control Commission Permit
- Temporary Restaurant License & Food Handler Certificate
Permit Application Process
An application may be completed by filing the Special Event Permit Application. The form can also be printed and sent or delivered to City Hall. Please submit the application as far in advance of your event as possible. After receipt of the Special Event Permit Application, you may be contacted if additional information is needed or to discuss its impact on the city and specific plans to accommodate the event.