Downtown Ridgefield is home to many historical sites, including homes, churches, theaters, and banks. The building that is currently City Hall was built as Ridgefield State Bank and first opened its doors in 1920. The building next door
to City Hall was built in 1926 as Schroeder’s Sweet Shop. Hamburgers, sodas and ice cream were served in the front of the store at a soft drink counter and five booths. The back of the building was a living space complete with a kitchen, dining room, bedroom, bathroom and porch. In 2013, a 1926 time capsule was uncovered in the foundation of the building during renovations; and its contents are on display at City Hall.