Safe Driving

Traffic Calming

Traffic calming is a movement to discourage speeding in residential neighborhoods therefore improving overall traffic safety.

What can you do?

  • Express your concern to your neighbor and make a friendly request that the speeder be more careful.
  • If the problem progresses, call the Ridgefield Police Department and make a complaint.
  • Work with Homeowners Association (HOA). If they have rules, you can contact them for assistance.
  • Trim vegetation around your house to increase visibility.

What can the City of Ridgefield do?

  • Assist in identifying the issue. We ask that you define the problem clearly and with as much detail as possible.
  • Verify road conditions, traffic speeds and traffic volumes on a specific street.
  • Install signs warning motorists of approaching crosswalks, parks, or schools.
  • Install crosswalks and bike lanes to enhance safety for pedestrians and bicyclists.
  • Create speed bumps to encourage vehicles to slow down.


In the recent years, there has been several roundabouts created in Ridgefield. Roundabouts are actually found to be much safer than signalized intersections; there are fewer accidents and the accidents that do occur are much less severe. It is important however, that you follow these steps to ensure your safety:

  • Slow down when approaching a roundabout.
  • Choose your lane depending on your destination (the road signs will be there to guide you).
  • Watch for pedestrians and cyclists at the crosswalks and be prepared to let them pass.
  • Look to the left and yield to the traffic already in the roundabout.
  • Enter the roundabout with caution being aware of other cars that are around you.
  • Exit the roundabout in the direction of your destination being sure that you are in the correct lane.
  • Again, watch for pedestrians and cyclists.

For more detail, including visuals, visit the Washington State Department of Transportation's Roundabouts page.